Best MP4 to MP3 Converters: Top 12
Are you wondering how to convert MP4 to MP3? Are you researching the internet for the best video to audio converter? You’ve discovered the ultimate round-up of tools and web apps to convert MP4 to MP3 effortlessly. Let’s dig in!
MP3 is the third and the latest audio format of the MPEG-1 standard. It’s the most widely used audio file coding format that’s lightweight in size but heavy in quality and bit rate. Consequently, most devices like smartphones, feature phones, car audio systems, pocket music players, etc., render MP3 audio compared to any of its competitors.
No wonder, your first preference to listen to music or other audio content would be in the form of MP3 in a player. Find below the ultimate list of the best programs handpicked for you after subjecting them to rigorous evaluations and reviewing processes.
Why Use a MP4 to MP3 Converter
Here are some reasons why you might use a video to audio converter:
- You’d like to listen to a video podcast in its audio format because there’s a storage constraint in portable players.
- Most pocket audio players support MP3 codec. So, you must convert an MP4 video file to MP3 if you want to play it in an audio player.
- For professional reasons, you must extract audio from video content for further analysis or editing. The best audio format you can choose is MP3 because most video editors and video converters accept MP3 as the input file.
- Suppose, you’re a media professional or business and need to archive terabytes of MP4 videos in their audio format. The best option is to change MP4 to MP3 to save storage space without compromising the audio quality.
- You’re looking to upload lightweight audio content on your website. MP3 is the go-to option for all custom and WordPress websites to host audio content.
- If you’re a content creator or editor, for editing and remixing purposes you might need to convert video to audio.
Now that you know the benefits of using MP3 for all audio content needs, let’s explore the best desktop apps and web platforms you can use to convert video to MP3:
1. Icecream Video Converter
Icecream Video Converter is the number 1 MP4 to MP3 converter in this round-up of video-to-audio converters for many reasons. However, the most important reason is its truly effortless user interface.
Its UI is sleek, clutter-less, and elegant. There aren’t many buttons and options to confuse you. Its user interface buttons are also self-explanatory.
Therefore, when all other audio extractors would require considerable learning, Icecream Video Converter doesn’t. After installing the app, you can quickly convert your MP4 video to MP3 audio for work or fun in no time.
The output MP3 file is compatible with various gadgets like iPhones, iPods, Android mobiles and tablets, portable MP3 players, and more.
- Bulk file MP4 to audio conversion;
- File conversion queue and history for production pipelines;
- Trim audio using start and end points before converting the file;
- Customize the destination folder.
- A lightweight application that doesn’t bloat your Windows PC;
- Free MP4 to MP3 converter for personal use;
- Frequent software updates from developers;
- No internet connection is needed.
- The Mac version is yet to be released.
CloudConvert is an online platform that helps you convert MP4 to MP3 seamlessly. It offers you several options for adjusting the quality and file size of the resultant audio files. The customizable options include bitrate, audio channel, volume, sample rate, audio codec, and Qscale.
- 5 different options for uploading the source video file (MP4);
- Customization options for destination file (MP3);
- Default values for options are also set at standard ones;
- Trimming feature to convert the video file partially.
- It offers custom integration with different apps through robust API;
- The audio extractor performs high-quality conversions as per your needs;
- The platform does not sell your data to a third party.
- Only 25 video to MP3 conversions/day are available for free;
- Need to purchase paid plans to get advanced features.
3. MiniTool Video Converter
If you are looking for software that can convert MP4 files to MP3 within a few minutes, MiniTool Video Converter should be your go-to option. This application supports 1000+ file formats for conversion and lets you record what is playing on your screen with audio.
- Generates high-quality output audio files;
- Batch MP4 to audio conversion for multiple files in bulk;
- Easy-to-use interface for instant video conversion.
- Does not need you to upload your sensitive files to the cloud;
- Option to choose the location for saving the output file;
- Convert large video files at a fast conversion speed.
- You need a paid subscription to enjoy all features without a watermark;
- It only allows you to add videos stored on your local computer;
- Requires an internet connection to install the MP4 to MP3 converter.
With the downloadable MP4 to MP3 converter of UniConverter, you can enjoy intelligent and efficient video file conversion with an unparalleled user experience. Whether you are a social media content creator, editor, music producer, or movie lover, you can utilize it for offline video conversion.
- Exclusive AV1 GPU Acceleration for perfect high-resolution video conversion;
- Batch video conversion for several MP4 files;
- Supports 4K video to MP3 file conversion without quality loss.
- Supports uploading output files to the cloud;
- Facility to add video files from computer location by dragging.
- Users with older versions than Windows 7 can not use this audio extractor;
- The free trial version comes with several limitations;
- Installation takes a lot of time.
Download: Windows & Mac
Do you want to save audio from video to listen to it with a music player? Use Wave.video for content repurposing for different social platforms. On this platform, you can convert MP4 to MP3 online and also get access to blogs, video tutorials, webinars, and social media communities.
- Convert MP4 video files and download them in one click;
- Option to create a separate folder to upload files.
- Intuitive and user-friendly interface that anyone can use;
- Quick video to MP3 file conversion and download.
- The free plan only offers a few features.
Zamzar is an online MP4 converter that can extract audio from the video source in MP3 format. It doesn’t need you to download any software on your computer—just upload your video file on the cloud interface and get it converted.
- Add source files from the local computer or popular cloud platforms;
- Displays live progress of the ongoing MP4 to MP3 conversion process.
- Files uploaded for free conversion are deleted within 24 hours;
- Drag and drop feature to add files directly from the computer.
- Supports video files up to 50 MB for free.
Those who don’t want to download an application for video to MP3 conversion can use Convertio online converter. Here, you can upload the video files, and it’ll generate a converted file for download after a few moments.
- Upload source files from a computer, Google Drive account, or Dropbox cloud storage;
- Advanced and basic settings for custom audio files.
- Option to add bulk video files for batch MP4 to MP3 conversion;
- One-click file conversion with live progress display.
- Supports up to 100 MB files without signing up.
VEED.IO is an effortless choice for the online conversion of MP4 to MP3. It doesn’t require you to download new software. Instead, the audio extractor opens on your browser. So, you can use a Mac, Windows PC, iPhone, Android smartphone, or any other device that can run a web browser.
- Lightweight web app;
- Easy file conversion process;
- Convert MP4 videos to MP3 files in a few clicks;
- Advanced settings like Sample Rate, Audio Channels, etc.
- Video editor timeline enables you to trim videos before conversion to MP3;
- Sound wave on the timeline.
- Saving projects is not available for users who are not logged in;
- The file conversion process is a bit complicated;
- Steep learning curve.
9. Freemake Video Converter
You can also check out the Freemake Video Converter to convert MP4 to MP3 and more than 500 other multimedia file types on your Windows PC. Besides offline file conversion, it also enables you to convert online videos to offline audio.
- Choose between bulk and single file conversion jobs;
- Big target file buttons for easy conversion profile selection.
- Easy-to-understand user interface;
- Lightweight MP4 to MP3 converter's installer.
- You need the internet to install the software;
- You must buy a license key before you can convert files.
Movavi offers both online and offline conversion for MP4 files to audio files. However, the online converter is for limited file numbers. For bulk MP4 file conversion, you must use the desktop app Movavi Video Converter for PC or Mac. The software lets you convert video to MP3 in 3 easy steps.
- Lightweight software installer;
- Easy customization features;
- GPU and hardware acceleration for fast conversion;
- Boost audio volume.
- You can perform basic MP4 to MP3 conversion for free;
- Easy-to-use interface;
- Custom bitrate selection for the output MP3 file.
- The free version lets you convert only a few seconds of file;
- The installed software is heavy and needs a robust PC or Mac.
11. VLC Media Player
VLC Media Player is the most popular video-to-audio converter in the open-source niche. If you need a unique feature in your content creation project, you can get the source code of the app and customize it in-house.
- View, convert, and listen in one application;
- Make granular customizations of the MP3 profile;
- Add audio filters like Ambisonics renderer, Audio Spatializer, etc.
- Free MP4 to MP3 converter;
- Eligible for commercial usage.
- The video to MP3 conversion process is complicated;
- Steep learning curve.
12. 1-Click Video Converter
1-Click Video Converter gives a native Mac look when installed on Macbooks or iMacs running Mac OS X 10.6 or newer operating systems. It has a fairly easy user interface that most level of Mac users can follow to quickly convert MP4 video to MP3 audio.
- Standard file conversion speed;
- Extract audio from video files in one click;
- Custom audio profiles for iPod, iPhone, and iPad.
- Basic features are available for free;
- Listed on Mac App Store.
- Lossless MP4 to MP3 conversion is behind the paywall.
- No Windows version available.
|Ranking||Converter||Features and best for|
|1||Icecream Video Converter||Offline desktop-based app for bulk video to MP3 conversions, easy-to-use, output file compatible with most devices|
|2||CloudConvert||Online conversion of MP4 to MP3|
|3||MiniTool Video Converter||Suitable for offline video (MP4) to audio (MP3) conversion|
|4||UniConverter||MP4 to audio conversion on PC and Mac|
|5||Wave.video||Automatic online video-to-audio conversion, one-click conversion|
|6||Zamzar||Online MP4 to MP3 conversion, convert videos available on cloud storage|
|7||Convertio||Web-based video to MP3 conversion, upload MP4 files from cloud storages|
|8||VEED.IO||Converts MP4 to MP3 on a web UI, advanced audio mixing capabilities|
|9||Freemake Video Converter||Online video to offline audio conversion, lacks a free trial|
|10||Movavi||Both online and offline MP4 to audio conversion, available for PC and Mac|
|11||VLC Media Player||Open source multimedia converter, steep learning curve|
|12||1-Click Video Converter||Native Mac app for MP4 to MP3 conversion, the free version offers basic multimedia conversion features, the conversion is lossy but can be fixed with a Pro upgrade|
Best MP4 to MP3 Converters: Closing
So, now you know which are the popular and trusted video (MP4) to audio (MP3) converters for your Windows, Mac, and Linux devices. A few of these are also compatible with your smartphone and tablet devices as long as you can open a web browser on the device.
So far, I have introduced you to the 12 top-rated MP4 to MP3 converters you can try for online and offline use. According to the features, ease-of-use, customer reviews, and personal use experience, I would recommend using Icecream Video Converter. To make the most of this software, you can upgrade to its PRO version.