How to Convert Video to Audio for Free
While working with media files, many users may find a need to learn how to convert video to audio for various reasons. As such, you may need to extract audio from a video to further use it for content creation.
This article will describe 3 ways how you can turn a video into MP3, WAV, or other audio format of your choice. Having an audio extractor from video handy will be beneficial for bloggers, students, life hackers, and tiktokers for their media processing tasks.
1. How to convert video to audio with Icecream Video Converter
What do you need a video-to-audio converter for? Say, there is a music video with a cool song, but listening to it in video format can drain your device's battery quickly. Besides, videos take much more space than a usual MP3 audio file.
Knowing how to turn a video into an audio file will help you create an audiobook from a documentary firm. Or convert a webinar or recorded lecture to a lighter format.
Below is the instruction on how to save the audio from a video:
Step 1. Download the free video to audio converter, install it and open.
Step 2. To convert a video to mp3, click the "+ Add File" button. Or use the drag & drop mechanism to move files into the program's window.
Step 3. Once the files are added to the conversion queue, select the MP3 format as the output one.
You can do that using the functionality on the right of the uploaded file (this way the setting will be applied to a specific file) or from the common settings in the bottom left. You can apply the settings to all the queues to bulk convert multiple video files to MP3. Also at this stage, it is possible to trim the input files with a built-in video editor.
Step 4. Click the "Convert" button to turn the video into audio. You can further track the processed files in the "History" tab of the freeware.
Just like that, you can easily extract MP3 sound from a video. This video to audio converter supports the operation to convert MP4 to MP3, as well as other video input formats: AVI, MKV, 3GP, WMV, MOV, M4V, MPG, M2TS, MTS, and more.
Advantages of the video to MP3 converter:
- A simple and smart interface allows the video to audio converter to be used by professional bloggers, video editors, and novice users with minimal knowledge in this area.
- Fast way to extract audio from video, regardless of the technical characteristics of your PC or laptop.
- This program for converting video to audio is lightweight and does not take up much disk space.
- The audio extractor from video with flexible settings allows inexperienced users to quickly set the desired parameters for the best result.
- Large selection of presets allows you to convert video to mp3 for different devices and needs.
- There is the "History" section where you can see all the processed files, as well as quickly locate them on a PC. This makes the video extracting audio from video more convenient. This is because you do not have to search for the converted file among a large number of system folders.
- The video to MP3 converter is distributed 100% free of charge without any hidden advertising content. This approach makes the program one of the most popular free video-to-audio converters available on the market.
- The utility can work with high-resolution video streams, up to 4K. This makes the tool even more versatile and allows for converting data for different platforms, social networks, mobile devices, and more.
Apart from being used to convert AVI to MP3 or other video formats to audio, the software offers other tools:
- Change video format from one to another: for example, convert AVI to MP4 and vice versa.
- Mute, compress, and trim a video to customize the content for your needs;
- Add a watermark on a video you are creating to preserve your copyrights.
Summing up, Icecream Video Converter is a great program that allows you to convert video files to MP3. In addition, you can turn your video into a variety of other supported video output formats. Thanks to the fact that the video to MP3 converter is free, you can use it anytime and anywhere. Easily save the audio from your video and enjoy your work!
2. How to turn video into audio using VLC Media Player
Many people find changing video to audio useful for file management. For instance, if you want to save space on your hard drive, you can convert large video files to audio that occupies much less space.
Another program you can use as a video to MP3 converter is VLC Media Player. Here are the steps on how to extract MP3 from videos quickly and easily:
- Download and install the software to your PC. Launch the program.
- In the drop down menu "Media", select the "Convert/Save..." option. You can also use the hotkey combination Ctrl + R.
- Click the "Add" button, then choose the file for extracting audio from the video.
- Press "Convert/Save..." again when your video is ready for conversion.
- In the "Convert" window, customize the "Settings". To convert MP4 to audio, pick the "Audio - MP3" in the "Profile" list.
- To set the location where the resulting file will be saved after converting video to audio, choose the "Destination" with the "Browse" button.
- When you are ready, hit "Start" to begin the conversion process.
This application comes completely free, so you can test its capabilities without worrying about your trial being over. Take advantage, and explore what it has to offer.
- Free open-source software with the capability to extract audio from video;
- Supports various formats to help convert MP4 to MP3, as well as AVI, WMV, MOV, 3GP, MKV, and others;
- Promises advanced control over subtitle synchronization, video and audio filters.
- The software was designed as a media player and not a video to audio converter;
- Users report occasional glitches when utilizing the program.
Overall, VLC Media Player is worth trying to convert mp4 to audio, AVI to audio, and other supported video formats. Even if you decide to move one with another video to MP3 converter, you may still find this software useful for other types of manipulations.
3. How to extract MP3 from video with Audacity
Being able to turn video files into audio recordings can also be used for making music compilations. You can extract audio from favorite videos and combine them into one playlist. This allows you to easily create a custom soundtracks collection with ease.
The Audacity open-source audio editing software also has the functionality of the video to MP3 converter. See the guidelines on how to convert video to audio with this method:
- Download and install the program to your computer. Start the application.
- Click the "File" menu at the top-left corner and select "Open.." from the drop-down menu to upload your video.
- In the same "File menu" hit the "Export" option. In the sub-menu, pick "Export as MP3".
- Now, in the "Edit" locate the option "Preferences". There, choose "Libraries" and set it to "Allow background on-demand loading". This will initiate the audio extractor from the video.
This is how you can easily convert MP4 to MP3. Now you can listen to the selection of your favorite songs that you were not able to find in an audio format.
- Free cross-platform application with the capacity to turn video into MP3 and some other audio formats.
- Software for multi-track audio editing that can be used to make adjustments after you save audio from a video.
- The interface with an extensive set of tools may be intimidating for those needing to simply convert a video to MP3.
If you are an audio content maker or editor seeking an effortless and free approach to changing video to audio, then Audacity is the ideal answer. This powerful audio editor can help you get a variety of tasks done and all for free.
Q1. What types of video files can be converted to audio?
Most video to audio converter support all the popular video formats, so you can convert MP4 to MP3, MOV to MP3, AVI to MP3, etc. Read the full list of supported input formats for the particular program you choose.
Q2. Which format is best to save audio from video?
The best audio format depends on what you need the resulting file for. If you are listening on a computer or laptop, MP3 is a good choice. It offers great sound quality while being of small file size. However, if you are extracting audio from video for professional editing, other formats, like WAV, maybe a better choice.
Q3. How long will it take to turn video into MP3?
The length of the conversion depends on the size of the original video file. If you do not need to extract full audio from the video, consider trimming your video first.
Q4. Can I batch-convert video recordings to audio?
Yes! Most video-to-MP3 converters have an option for batch conversion so that you can process numerous videos simultaneously. This saves time and effort if you have multiple videos that need to be transformed into audio files.
Q5. Are the converted audios of good quality?
The quality of the result after you extract MP3 from the video depends on the source video file and the settings used for conversion. However, if you use a reliable video to audio converter with good settings then the resulting sound quality should be of good quality at no noticeable quality loss.
Q6. Does converting video to audio reduce file size?
Yes! Changing video to audio reduces their size significantly since most of the data contained in a video file (the sequence of video frames and images) is not necessary for the audio file that only contains sound data. This allows for smaller file sizes which are easier to store and share online than larger video files would be.
Q7. Is there any risk associated when you save audio from video?
Copyright infringement is always a risk when you turn video into audio and use it further without permission from the copyright owner. To avoid this risk, ensure that you only convert video to MP3 that you own or have authorization from the original proprietor.
Tips on how to turn a video into an audio file with the best results
- Find a good video to audio converter. Look for reputable and reliable software that can perform the task quickly and accurately.
- Check file compatibility. Before beginning to convert video to audio, make sure your file types are compatible with the used program.
- Choose the right output format. Before you extract audio from the video, select an output format that is compatible with the device you plan to use the audio.
- Adjust other settings as necessary. Depending on the software you are using, there may be additional settings of the audio extractor from a video you can adjust.
- Trim video before converting. Break up long videos into smaller segments If you see that the video is too long. This will reduce the speed as you turn your video into MP3 and ensure easier audio playback.
- Avoid lossy compression formats. Compression formats with loss of data reduce audio quality. So it is best to use a lossless format when converting video to audio if possible.
- Process multiple files simultaneously. Most video to MP3 converters offer batch processing capabilities so you can convert several files at once instead of one by one. This saves time and effort in the long run.
- Delete any unused files after conversion. To conserve storage space, delete any unneeded video or audio files after you convert MP4 to audio. This way they do not take up unnecessary space on your device or computer hard drive.
How to convert video to audio: conclusion
In conclusion, converting video to audio is a straightforward process when you have a reliable tool. From this article, you now know 3 free video to audio converters. You can use any of them to extract audio from videos you would rather listen to than watch. So go ahead and get started!