Top 17 Best Video Recording Software
Are video meetings, personal and family moments, and online tutorial recordings on your list of top priorities? Then, look no further and try out any of these best video recording software today!
Finding the best screen recording software for a PC or Mac is a challenging task. Because the screen recorder software market is flooded with such desktop and online apps.
If you’re new in this field or an extremely busy professional, you must read the article until the end to discover some of the best free and paid video recording apps. These applications let you produce great personal and professional videos.
What Is Video Recording Software?
Video recorder software allows you to capture what’s happening around you and on your computer. The program records your screen, webcam, security camera, USB video recorders, etc. It also lets you capture audio from microphones and system sounds.
The end product of the recordings is multimedia content like YouTube videos, work conferences, online study materials, family films, and so on.
Therefore, if you’re a student, professional, content creator, online educator, salesperson, or social media marketer, you must try out the screen recording apps listed below.
How we picked and tested products
You can’t just get any video recording app. If you need to frequently use the tool for video creation purposes, choose smartly.
Here are the features that I considered when compiling this ultimate list of the best recording software for PC or Mac:
- Offers intuitive and seamless user interface and experience;
- Gets your job done in fewer clicks and screen swaps;
- Produces high-definition multimedia;
- Lets you record videos from multiple sources;
- Allows you to annotate the recorded videos;
- You can quickly perform minor video editing as well;
- Share videos online in a few clicks;
- Schedule the recordings;
- Has a free trial and affordable paid subscriptions;
- Able to utilize graphics processing unit on the PC or Mac;
- Comes with extensive privacy and data security;
- Easy to install on the desktop or access via web browsers;
- The developer releases frequent updates.
Now, find below the best video recording tools that are making most of the buzz in the field.
1. Icecream Screen Recorder
Icecream Screen Recorder is an all-in-one video recording software. Whether you need to record a video at home or office, this software is your go-to choice.
Because it packs almost all the functionalities you need to record a video, edit it, and share it with a friend or colleague. Moreover, from installation to video sharing takes only a few clicks.
- HD Screen recording;
- Setting of selective area for recording;
- HD video recording using a web camera;
- Video editing and annotation;
- Instant video sharing via the cloud.
- Best free video recording software for YouTube and game capturing;
- Records audio from the built-in mic and external headphones/ mics;
- Display shortcut keys when recording;
- Installs quickly;
- Lightweight application for Windows and Mac;
- No learning curve;
- The software supports scheduled screen recording.
- Multi-screen recording is yet to be developed;
- Limited recording in the free version.
2. Video Candy
Do you need to capture a quick video shot using the webcam or just record the desktop screen for instant sharing? And do it all without installing any apps? Then, try the free online screen recorder from Video Candy.
- Free screen recording as much as you want;
- Open the recording in the online video editor;
- Additional tools to merge videos, change playback speed, resize, and more.
- Feature to remove audio from the screen or webcam recordings.
- Free to use for commercial and personal use;
- Able to compress video for email and mobile sharing;
- Easy-to-navigate user interface;
- Guided navigation so you don’t get lost in many open browser tabs.
- Only for web browsers;
- Scheduled recording is yet to be added.
3. Microsoft ClipChamp
Microsoft ClipChamp is the latest video recording software for Windows 8 and later operating systems like Win 10, Win 11, etc. It also has an online version that you can access from a compatible web browser like Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge.
This screen recording app offers both screen and webcam recording. Also, there is an elaborated video editor you can use to add transitions, stock images, brand assets, music, and SFX to your recording.
- Content backup on the cloud in real-time;
- Premium stock videos and images available for use.
- Offers video production templates;
- Ability to add video captions.
- The user interface is a little complex;
- There is a learning curve to get used to this screen recorder.
4. QuickTime Player
QuickTime Player offers adequate video recording capabilities on Mac and Windows devices. You can effortlessly capture your screen activity or webcam output. So, you can create tutorials, video blogs, and home videos easily.
- The native video recorder software on macOS computers;
- Offers high-quality audiovisual output.
- Adjustable recording areas;
- System audio and microphone input.
- The Windows edition hasn’t been updated since 2016;
- Output format MOV requires using a [video converter])/Video-Converter/) to change the format to MP4.
Download: Windows | Built-in tool on macOS
If you need video recording, editing, sharing, and annotating for business purposes, try Loom. this screen recording software enables you to record your desktop screen along with the webcam, not to mention the audio. Once a video, you can do a host of things like add captions, summaries, chapters, enhance resolution, trim videos, and more.
- Add video chapters for YouTube;
- Create video transcripts;
- Animated thumbnails.
- Emoji reactions available;
- Ability to video reply;
- Video analytics are provided;
- Only 5 minutes of video recording in the free plan;
- Navigation on the video recording app is challenging.
6. OBS Studio
OBS Studio is another free video recording software specifically suitable for YouTubers, game streamers on Twitch, and social media managers. Besides the screen, audio, and webcam recording, it also lets you broadcast your desktop to the public via its streaming features.
- Real-time video and audio mixing;
- Custom and built-in transitions;
- Audio mixer with noise suppression or gain;
- Advanced configuration tools.
- Open-source and free to use for any purposes;
- Streamlined settings interface.
- Extensive learning curve as it is a complex video recorder software;
- The user interface is a bit untidy.
Wistia should be your go-to screen recording application for video marketing of multimedia you create. Besides letting you spread your content to the masses, it also offers an online video recording and editing interface. For personal use, you can also use the app since it’s free video recording software.
- Transcribing audio into transcripts;
- Uploading your own transcripts;
- Stock videos and graphics are offered for use;
- Online video advertisement production.
- Access to analytics for marketing videos;
- Timeline-based media editing feature;
- Call to action;
- Video chapters.
- Watermark is added to the free plan;
- Only 5 minutes of recording in the free plan;
- Complex user interface.
8. Xbox Game Bar
Xbox Game Bar is a screen recording overlay for Windows 10 and 11 PCs. If your requirements are only to record what’s going on on your computer screen, you can check out the tool. It requires no installation or purchases.
- Connect with and record gaming social media like Twitch;
- Capture the best gaming events in real time without leaving the game.
- Free video recording software for anyone who owns a Windows 10 or 11 PC;
- Easy to run by pressing Windows + G keys.
- Complicated user interface;
- Widgets can impair visuals when gaming.
Vimeo is an online screen recorder tool for video recording from a desktop screen and webcam. Apart from creating videos, you can make your recordings interactive, stream live, host and record webinars virtual events, and so on. The platform is suitable for hosting personal video events, employee communication, and video monetization.
- Ad-free video recording software and player;
- An over-the-top (OTT) video platform;
- Video analytics for marketers are added;
- Great for creating interactive videos for program demos and learning content.
- Create, edit, and share videos from one app;
- Collaborative video production is an option.
- A bit costly for video marketers and freelancers;
- Limited video streaming bandwidth per month.
If you’re into sales and marketing and need to create engaging video pitches for clients, try Vidyard. Every salesperson and marketer in your team can make professional video pitches in minutes using this screen recording software. Also, it comes with an AI so you can produce persuading transcripts, captions, walkthroughs, and so on.
- AI-power video transcribing;
- Sharing videos via email and LinkedIn;
- Ability to create personalized sales scripts.
- A free video recording software plan is available;
- User-friendly interface that is easy to learn.
- The desktop screen recording app isn’t easily accessible;
- Zoom recording is unavailable in both, the Free and Pro plans.
11. Movavi Video Suite
Are you looking for a bit more advanced video recording app that you can use offline? Try Movavi Video Suite! It’s perfect for home and workplace video production. apart from capturing content from the screen, it is also webcam recording software. Hence, for starting a video blog, online teaching site, or just capturing all family moments on your PC or Mac, this program may be a good choice.
- AI-powered tools for background and noise removal;
- Video recording scheduling is available;
- Integration with TikTook for instant upload of the videos.
- Lightweight video recorder software with editing capabilities;
- Tool to upscale old videos using AI.
- This screen recording software is expensive;
- Has a steep learning curve due to its complexity.
Camtasia is yet another advanced video recording app with editing features. Whether you need a screen recorder for home or professional projects, this program will be a perfect fit. Apart from the recording screen, this software provides pro-level video production tools for content creators.
- Records footage from your camera or desktop screen;
- Captures system or external microphone audio;
- Editing audio and video happens right on a timeline;
- Offers callouts, transitions, and visual effects.
- A free trial is offered to try out the full functionality of the screen recording app;
- A library for all media assets;
- Integrated stock footage and graphics.
- The free trial is only for 3 days;
- Comes with an intense learning curve.
RecForth is a free video recording software for Windows 10 and 11 devices. It enables you to create video lectures, video blogs for YouTube, and record gameplays or webinars. Also, you can customize the capture area on the desktop to hide sensitive content.
- 1080P/4K resolution screen recording;
- Mouse pointer click effects for enhancing the viewer's experience;
- Countdown timer to postpone the start time.
- Unlimited recording with a paid plan;
- Easy-to-use program with almost no learning curve.
- Limited features are available with the free plan;
- Video recorder software is only available for Windows.
14. DU Recorder
DU Recorder is a package of video recording, screen recording, and content streaming features for Macbook and iMac devices. It saves all the recorded content locally, so you can easily access your videos from the Macintosh HD drive.
- HD video recording app;
- Ability to adjust the resolution settings;
- Option to set a selective area for recording.
- Frame rate modifications are available;
- Free video recording software.
- Untidy user interface that may confuse some users at first.
15. EaseUS RecExperts
EaseUS RecExperts enables you to make engaging multimedia content using a desktop screen, webcam, and microphone. With this screen recording app, you can create videos for YouTube, online teaching platforms, gaming blogs, etc., and spice up your content by adding effects. The program is also good for personal use.
- Simultaneous recording of webcam, desktop screen, and system audio;
- Lag-free 2D and 3D gameplay recording;
- Feature to enhance HD videos to 4K and 8K.
- Removes background noise using an AI algorithm;
- AI-powered audio extraction;
- Scheduled recording is an option.
- The video recording software comes at a costly price;
- A bit messy user interface that creates a steep learning curve.
16. VideoProc Converter
VideoProc Converter is an all-in-one GPU-accelerated screen recording software. It has integrated video converter, video fixer, video compressor, video editor, and video downloader. If you’re a professional video producer who wants to use GPUs to process recorded and edited videos faster, try this program.
- 4K/8K video recording and editing functionality;
- Compatible with GoPro, DJI, Canon, etc.;
- Level-3 Hardware Acceleration is available.
- Processing of videos faster due to GPU;
- More than 420 output formats for recorded videos.
- No affordable plans for personal use;
- The user interface of the video recording app is cluttered.
Download: Windows and Mac
Bandicam started as a webcam recording software but now covers a variety of external devices like IPTV, smartphones, Xbox, PlayStation, etc. If you need to record a video message for home or office, try this screen recording app. Also, the app is suitable for recording webinars, lectures, how-to videos, etc.
- Video-in-video and picture-in-picture recording options;
- Hardware-accelerated H.264 encoder.
- Records and processes videos faster using GPU acceleration;
- Converts smartphone camera into a webcam.
- Different licenses for personal and business use.
Best Video Recording Software: Summary
|Ranking||Screen recorder||Features and Best For|
|1||Icecream Screen Recorder||All-in-one video recording, editing, and sharing. Best free features than the competitors|
|2||Video Candy||Online screen and webcam recording and editing|
|3||Microsoft ClipChamp||Video and movie maker for Windows|
|4||QuickTime Player||Native and free video recorder for Mac|
|5||Loom||Effortless sales and marketing videos|
|6||OBS Studio||Record and broadcast webinars and gameplay|
|7||Wistia||Suitable for marketing and advertising videos|
|8||Xbox Game Bar||Quickly capture great gameplay on Windows|
|9||Vimeo||Video creation and marketing platform|
|10||Vidyard||Sales and marketing messaging with video|
|11||Movavi Video Suite||Offline video recording and editing|
|12||Camtasia||Complex and advanced video production suite|
|13||RecForth||Quick YouTube and training video maker|
|14||DU Recorder: Screen Recorder||Premium video recorder and streamer app for macOS|
|15||EaseUS RecExperts||AI-powered video and audio processing|
|16||VideoProc Converter||A vast library of output video formats|
|17||Bandicam||Records video from most external devices like webcam and smartphone|
So, these are the best video recording software that you should know of. Give all or a few of these a try and choose the one that suits your personal, professional, or business requirements.
I tested 25+ video and screen recording apps to cherry-pick the best tools for you. From the affordability, ease of use, and functionality point of view, I recommend the Icecream Screen Recorder for desktops and Video Candy for web browsers.